ARRI has published a very useful piece of educational information. The ALEXA mini LF Recording Format Poster Pack is an “easily digestible” poster with visual aids to help clarify the ARRI Mini LF’s recording format size, resolution, and maximum frame rates. Download it for free.
As stated by ARRI: “New downloadable poster! The ALEXA Mini LF now offers you the choice of twelve different recording formats for productions of all shapes, sizes and budgets. We know that all that choice can be a challenge in communicating with customers, so we have designed an easily digestible poster with visual aids to help clarify the recording format size, resolution and maximum frame rates. “ ARRI also made a simplified version in A4 and Letter size that can fit neatly in a camera case or be used by rental house staff as a cheat sheet. “
Here is the list of recording formats and their purpose as defined by ARRI:
- 4.5K LF 3: 2 Door open: Highest image quality, image area, and resolution for spherical and anamorphic lenses for enormous publishing flexibility.
- 4.5K LF 2.39: 1: Designed for 2.39: 1 cinematic widescreen shooting with large format spherical lenses.
- 4.3K LF 16: 9: Unique large format look with dramatically reduced data rate, through in-camera downsampling to its 16: 9 UHD or HD target delivery.
- 3.8K LF 16: 9: The smaller sensor area that meets 4K requirements allows the use of many S35 spherical lenses. In-camera downsampling options provide lower data rates for cost-effective ways to achieve the large-format look.
- 2.8K LF 1: 1: Designed to shoot with 2x anamorphic lenses for a 2: 1 delivery lens, meeting 4K requirements.
- 3.4K S35 3: 2: The most flexible format for S35 projects, covered by most S35 lenses and with enough resolution for many post-production workflows.
- 3.2K S35 16: 9: Ideal for shooting with S35 spherical lenses for a 16: 9 delivery lens.
- 2.8K S35 4: 3: For projects that use S35 anamorphic lenses to
a 2.39: 1 delivery objective, or S35 spherical lenses for a 1.33: 1 or 1.85: 1 delivery objective with additional clearance above and below the image.
- 2.8K S35 16: 9: The fastest way to deliver in HD, with a super low data rate and the assurance that the sensor area is covered by any S35 lens.
The ALEXA Mini LF Recording Format Poster Pack is now available for download from the following links:
List of products
These are the products mentioned in the article and the links to buy them from authorized dealers.
- ARRI ALEXA Mini LF
- ARRI ALEXA Mini Body with 4: 3 and ARRIRAW