Former Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu ‘leaks a private text conversation’ about the Brazilian who wants to return to the club in 2019 … after the full-back said he would ‘NEVER’ accept an offer from him
- Dani Alves became Xavi’s first signing as Barcelona coach in November
- He reportedly said that he would never have returned to Josep Maria Bartomeu
- The former president of the club has been replaced by Joan Laporta at the helm this year
- Bartomeu allegedly leaked a private conversation he had with Alves in 2019
- The conversation suggests that Alves wanted to return to Barcelona at that time
Former Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu reportedly leaked a private conversation with Dani Alves, showing that the Brazilian wanted to rejoin the club in 2019.
The 38-year-old signed for Barcelona in November, becoming Xavi’s first signing after replacing Ronald Koeman as manager.
Alves, who previously played for Barcelona from 2008 to 2016, has been training with the squad and will be able to return in January once the club signs him up for the national team.
Dani Alves would have said that he would never return to Barcelona with Josep Maria Bartomeu
The Brazilian reportedly told Alkass Sports Channels, according to AS Sport, that he would never have returned to the club with Bartomeu, who was replaced by Joan Laporta earlier this year.
However, a text conversation, allegedly leaked by Bartomeu, has circulated on social media suggesting that Alves had begged him to return to the club in 2019.
The conversation, which was allegedly shared with journalists in Spain, reads as follows:
Bartomeu allegedly leaked a conversation suggesting that Alves wanted to return in 2019
Alves: ‘Mr President, how are you? I want to go home and play the 2022 World Cup as a Barça player. Let’s put pride aside. We both need each other!
Bartomeu replied: ‘Hi Dani. No problem, but technical staff must agree. You spoke to [Eric] Abidal? Big hug. Barto.
Then Alves commented, “I can talk to him if you want!”
It shows that the conversation took place on May 18, 2019, just 11 days after the Catalan giants were eliminated from the Champions League semi-finals after a 4-0 loss to Liverpool.
The Brazilian full-back has responded to the leaked conversation with a cryptic tweet, which read: ‘For those who really care about Barça, we would do whatever it takes.
‘Life knows what everyone deserves. I am sorry, thanks.
It comes after Alves allegedly told Qatari broadcaster Alkass Sports: ‘I had the feeling that I would return to Barça and, as much as some did not understand, I have returned.
“We have to work to rebuild a great Barça and for that we need stability and solidarity.”
He added: ‘I would not have accepted an offer from Bartomeu. I left when he was president and there was no point working with him again. ‘