Here is a complete guide on how you can fix slow download speed issue on Origin. Origin desktop client allows Windows users to download games and other game-related content from Electronic Arts. However, some users have reported experiencing slow download speeds on Origin. As reported by them, games and updates take forever to download. It can be frustrating to see your games download so slowly. Now if you are one of those facing the same problem, this post is for you. You can follow the fixes we have mentioned here to fix the problem.
How do I increase the download speed of Origin?
To increase the download speed of Origin, make sure you are connected to a good speed and a stable internet connection. Other than that, power cycle your network device, run Origin with administrator rights, update your network driver, etc. You can even try starting Origin in R&D mode which reportedly provides better download speed. We have discussed all of these methods in detail; so take a look below.
Fix slow download speed of Origin
Here are the methods you can try to troubleshoot slow download speeds on Origin:
- Check your internet connection.
- Power cycle your router.
- Make sure your network adapter driver is up to date.
- Run Origin as administrator.
- Troubleshoot in a clean boot state.
- Restart Origin in R&D mode.
- Delete the Origin cache file.
- Reinstall Origin.
1]Check your internet connection
Requires you to be connected to a stable internet to download games and content on the Origin client. So please check your internet connection and make sure you are not dealing with internet connectivity problem.
If there are some WiFi connectivity problems, you can try to fix them. Also, make sure your internet speed is good enough to download content on Origin. Test your internet speed and if it is slow you will need to contact your ISP or update your internet plan. Apart from that, you can also try disconnecting several other devices connected to the same network so that your main device can use all the bandwidth.
In case everything is fine with the internet, try the following potential solution to solve the problem.
See: Correct the origin error when loading the web page.
2]Power cycle your router
The network issue may be due to a corrupted or faulty router cache that is slowing down the download speed on Origin. If the scenario applies, you can power cycle your router or modem to clear the router’s cache. To do that, you can follow the steps below:
- First of all, press the power button on your router to turn it off.
- Now, unplug the device from the main switch and wait at least 30 seconds for it to turn off completely.
- Next, plug in your router and restart it.
- After that, reconnect to the internet and open Origin. See if it helps improve download speed.
3]Make sure your network adapter driver is up to date
If you continue to have the same problem, the corrupted or outdated network driver may be the culprit. Therefore, you need to make sure that the driver for your network adapter is up to date. Update network drivers using the following methods:
When you finish updating your network drivers, open the Origin client and see if the download speed is better or not.
Read: Origin DirectX configuration error: An internal error has occurred.
4]Run Origin as administrator.
The problem may be due to Origin lacking administrator privileges to use all its features properly. So in that case, running the Origin client as administrator will help you fix the problem. Just go to the Origin icon on the desktop and right click on it. Then select the Execute as an administrator option to run it with administrator rights.
If this solves the slow download speed issue, you will need to start Origin as an administrator each time you want to use it. To make it easier for you, you can make Origin always run with administrator privileges. For that, you can follow the steps below:
- First of all, go to the Origin shortcut on the desktop, right-click on it and select the Properties option.
- Now go to Compatibility tab and check the Run this program as administrator cash register.
- After that, hit the Apply button> OK to save the changes.
- Then restart Origin and see if the problem is fixed or not.
In case you’re still having the same slow download speed issue on Origin, proceed to the next potential solution to resolve it.
5]Troubleshoot in a clean boot state
Slow download speeds and other performance issues with the Origin client can be caused by conflicts or interference from background applications (for example, Steam). If the scenario is applicable, you should be able to fix the problem by doing a clean boot. To do that, follow the steps below:
- First, press the Windows logo key + R key combination to evoke the Run dialog box.
- Now write msconfig in the Open box and then press the Enter button to open the System Settings window.
- Then move to Services tab and check the Hide all Microsoft services check box and then press the Disable all button.
- After that, go to the Home tab and tap Open Task Manager.
- Then, in Task Manager, disable all startup programs.
- Finally, return to the System Settings window and press the OK button to save the changes.
You can restart your PC in a clean state and then open Origin to check if the problem is solved or not.
See: Repair folder does not exist – Source error.
6]Restart Origin in R&D mode.
Many users have reported that starting Origin in R&D mode, that is, Research and Development mode, improves download speed. This mode is intended for Origin developers. Now to start Origin in R&D mode, follow the steps below:
First, close the Origin client.
Now, right click on the desktop and then choose the New> Text document to generate an empty text document.
Then open the text document and copy and paste the following lines into the document:
[connection] EnvironmentName=production [Feature] CdnOverride=akamai
After that, click File> Save As and enter EACore.ini as the filename and then hit the Save button.
When the above file is created, launch Origin and hit Yes in the USE DESKTOP CONFIGURATION FILE pop-up window.
See if this method works for you or not. Otherwise, go to the next potential solution to solve the problem.
Read: Dragon Age: Origins crashes on Windows PC.
7]Delete the Origin cache file.
If the fixes above didn’t help, clearing the cache might help you fix the problem. The corrupted cache associated with the Origin client may be a reason why you are facing slow download speed. Therefore, delete the Origin cache file to fix the problem. You can take the following steps to do so:
- First, make sure Origin is completely closed, and for that, click on Origin in the menu bar and tap on the Exit option. Also, open Task Manager and make sure no Origin-related processes are running in the background.
- Now, open Run using Win + R key combination and enter % ProgramData% / Origin in that.
- Then delete all files and folders inside the open directory except Local content.
- After that, conjure up the Run dialog using Win + R hotkey and enter% AppData% into it.
- Once you are inside the Roamin folder, delete the Source folder.
- Then go to the AppData folder using the address bar and open the Local folder.
- Then delete the Source folder.
- Finally, restart your PC and then start Origin to check if the problem is solved or not.
See: GeForce Game Ready driver installation error on Windows.
If none of the above solutions worked for you, you may need to consider reinstalling the Origin client to counteract the issues. In some cases, the problem may be due to a corrupted installation of the application. So reinstalling the app should help you fix the problem. You must first uninstall the Origin client from your PC. After that, download the Origin installer from its official website and then reinstall it on your PC. See if this fixes the problem for you.
I hope this helps!
Why is Origin so slow?
The reason Origin lags may be the corrupted cache associated with it. You can try clearing Origin cache files to fix the problem. In case the problem is due to software conflicts or internet issues, you can try the solutions that we have mentioned in this article.