If you want to keep privacy to a minimum, delete your download history in Microsoft Edge before handing over your PC to someone.
When using a computer in a shared space, whether at home, school, or work, it is a good privacy practice to clear your browser’s history and cookies. But did you know that you can also delete your download history in Microsoft Edge? You can do it in a few clicks if you know where to look.
Here’s how to view and delete your download history in Microsoft Edge. We will also look at the steps to delete downloaded files from your PC.
Find and delete download history in Edge
Like other browsers, Edge has a downloads section that you can access by doing the following:
- Launch the Microsoft Edge browser on your PC or Mac.
- Click on the Settings and more (three dots) in the upper right corner of the browser and click downloads from the menu.
- TO downloads The icon appears on the right side and lists recent downloads and files that are currently downloading.
- From the downloads list, you have the option to open the folder containing the item (you can delete it from the folder). You can open the file directly or click the trash icon to delete the file history one by one from your downloads history.
Note: Deleting the file history doesn’t actually delete the file from your downloads folder. You just remove it from the history list.
Delete download history in Edge
If you don’t want to delete files individually, you can clear your download history in one go. To clear all history, do the following:
- Launch Edge and click the Settings and more (three dots) in the upper right corner of the screen and click downloads. Or use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + J.
- Then click on the More options button (three dots) in the upper right corner of the downloads ready.
- In the menu that appears, click Clear all download history from the list of options.
- When the Delete all download history a warning message appears, click the Delete all button.
- After deleting all the history, if you or someone else opens the downloads list, it will be empty.
Find and delete downloaded files
Clearing the download history in Edge is one way to protect local privacy, but it doesn’t delete the actual downloaded files. To delete the files, do the following:
- You will want to find the downloads location if you don’t already know it. Click on the Settings and more (three dots) and click Downloads. Alternatively, use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl + J.
- Click on the More options button (three dots) and click Download settings from the menu.
- That opens the Microsoft Edge download settings page to find the location of your download folder. For example, here, we have it set up on a second drive on the computer. However, by default it will be something like C: Users
Downloads. Click on the Change to use a different drive or location.
Open the Downloads folder and there you can start deleting old downloads that you no longer need. Or move them to an external drive for long-term storage.
Deleting your download history in Edge is a good way to protect local privacy on your computer. It prevents someone using your computer from easily opening the Downloads list to see what they have downloaded.
If you are new to the browser, did you know that you can clear cookies for individual websites? If you think you will miss your favorite extensions, don’t worry. You can install Google Chrome extensions on Edge.