tweets, replies, followers, lists and more.
- To download your Twitter file, go to the Account menu on the website or in the app.
- Once you request a copy of your archive from Twitter, it may take a few days before you receive it.
If you are an advanced Twitter user, you may have thousands of tweets and likes on your account. That can be a lot to sift through just using the website or app.
You can request a full record and
How to request your Twitter file
These steps are practically the same on both the website and the mobile app.
one. Go to Twitter website Or open the app and log into your account, if you haven’t already.
two. If you are on the website, click the Plus option in the left sidebar. In the mobile app, tap your profile picture in the top left-hand corner.
3. Please select Settings and privacy.
Four. Please select Your account, and then Download a file of your data.
5. You will need to re-enter your password and a two-factor authentication code. If you don’t have a two-factor setting, you will be taken to a different page to enable it first.
6. Please select Request file.
Now you will have to wait for Twitter to create your file. When it’s done, you’ll receive a notification on Twitter and an email with a link.
How to download and view your Twitter archive
Once you receive the email or notification from Twitter:
one. Open it and click download, or return to the data menu by following the steps we described above. You will need to re-enter your password and a two-factor authentication code.
two. Click Download fileand then click it again on the next page. You will be given a ZIP file to download; it may take a while, depending on your internet connection and its size.
3. Once you download the ZIP file, unzip it and open it.
Four. There are many different files and folders inside it. The most important are:
- The file named Your.html file is a personalized web page that contains the data that Twitter believes will be most useful to you. This includes all of your original tweets (not retweets or replies), your direct messages, the last year of Likes, your “Moments” and Lists, and a lot of information that advertisers have collected about you. You can open this file in almost any web browser.
- Inside the data folder, you will find README.txt, a document that explains what each file in the folder is and what it contains.
- You will also see a folder called Social media tweet, which has all the photos and videos that you uploaded to Twitter or retweeted.
Quick tip: You can download and open these folders on your phone, but we recommend that you view them on a computer. It makes navigating the files and HTML page much easier.
Most of the files within the archive are JSON files (.js), which you can open in almost any web browser or word processor. But the easiest way to read your file is by using the HTML file.
Be sure to download your file within a few days of receiving it; After about a week it will expire and you will need to request it again.