Microsoft has made a free Windows 11 Enterprise virtual machine available for download. Aimed at developers, Microsoft says: “Get started building Windows applications quickly using a virtual machine with the latest versions of Windows, developer tools, SDKs, and ready-to-use samples.”
There is a lot of content in this download:
- Window 11 Enterprise (evaluation)
- Windows 10 SDK Version 2004 (10.0.19041.0)
- Visual Studio 2019 (latest as of 09/10/21) with UWP, .NET Desktop and Azure workflows enabled and includes the Windows Template Studio extension.
- Visual Studio Code (Latest as of 09/10/21)
- Windows Subsystem for Linux enabled with Ubuntu installed
- Developer mode enabled
- Windows terminal installed
According to Microsoft, these virtual machines will expire on 09/01/22.
Microsoft has made available downloads for the VMWare, Hyper-V, VirtualBox, and Parallels versions of the virtual machine, all of which can be downloaded directly from Microsoft.
Note that the page title incorrectly states “Get a Windows 10 development environment.”