- Filtered out
MicrosoftPay data and government filings give a rare idea of how much workers earn.
- Software engineers from all business units took home an average salary package of $ 185,000.
Microsoft grew its employee base by more than 23,000 workers in 2021, seemingly unaffected by the problems of an increasingly stringent talent market for the tech workforce. In total, the
But how much does Microsoft, the world’s most valuable company, pay its employees?
Insider compiled data from leaked salary spreadsheets and visa applications to get a rare idea of how much Microsoft employees earn. The data reveals some of the highest-paying positions at the tech giant, and is accompanied by employee reports on wage and promotional inequality.
Here’s a look at current Microsoft salaries among senior executives, software engineers, and more:
Microsoft Employees Claim Pay and Promotion Discrimination After Leaking Pay Data
Dozens of women in technical positions at Microsoft started an email thread to share stories about disparities in compensation and promotions at the company, then compiled a pay spreadsheet to document the inequalities.
More than 1,200 employees shared salaries in the spreadsheet, revealing how much employees, which vary in experience and department, earn each year. The CSS, Quality Engineer, and Solution Architect roles gained the least, according to the data.
The data also shows a breakdown of promotions by gender, race and ethnicity, as well as the range of pay rates based on location. But some of the issues discussed went beyond wages and focused on the treatment of certain employees.
“Being kept out of meetings, being talked about by project men, or deliberately ignoring ideas is quick and effective in its speed and subtlety,” wrote an employee in the email thread.
- The leaked Microsoft email chain shows women sharing stories of gender discrimination in the company: “ All women are paid equally until the women who do not try it ”
- Microsoft’s leaked salaries are revealed when more than 1,200 employees compile compensation and promotion data into a shared spreadsheet to promote pay equity.
Microsoft software engineers earn an average salary package of $ 185,000, according to leaked data
More than 600 employees in the leaked Microsoft spreadsheet self-identified as engineers in the company’s business units, including Azure, Office, and Windows.
The sample is not a completely representative view of Microsoft’s compensation rates, but it reveals an average salary package of $ 185,000 among software engineers, with employees in the highest-earning band earning up to $ 500,000.
Entry-level engineers earned an average compensation package of $ 132,900 and senior engineers’ earnings started at $ 217,000.
- Leaked Microsoft pay data shows how much hundreds of software engineers are reporting earning on units like Azure, Office, and Windows, with an average pay package of $ 185,000
- Leaked Microsoft pay data shows how much hundreds of software engineers report doing, from entry-level jobs to higher-level jobs
Top Microsoft executives earned salaries of up to $ 250,000 last year
The Office of Foreign Labor Certification publishes H-1B visa wages each year, revealing how much companies like Microsoft pay foreign workers.
The data only includes base salary, not total compensation. But it gives an idea of salaries that Microsoft does not usually share.
Insider analyzed more than 1,400 of these visas to find the highest-paying positions at Microsoft. We focus on any title making $ 175,000 or more, with the highest salary for a channel sales manager taking home $ 250,000.
- Microsoft Salaries Revealed: Highest Paying Job Titles On The $ 1.6 Trillion Tech Titan, Paying Up To $ 250,000